Thursday, January 30, 2014

NEW SEMESTER, NEW PROJECT.

Welcome back everyone and a big welcome to all the new S-STEM scholars. I am happy to be back and ready to make this semester a great one. This pass Monday the 27th was my first day back in the bioscience lab and there was a change made to my project for this semester. Instead of fomites being my project I’ll be doing a project on probiotics. The new project seems like it going to be fun to do; I’ll be working with different types of yogurts/dairy products. When I came in on Monday Matt had already gone to the store and picked up eleven different types of products to be tested. Matt gave me a good starting point to start at; he hinted at looking up how to detect concentration levels in yogurts and dairy products. After looking up what I needed I decided that I would start with streaking a TSA plate for each eleven products to see if I can grow any bacteria, I did that on Tuesday. When checked today some of the TSA plates did have some growth on them. However, after talking to Matt he said that I started at a good test but what would work even better is if the products were diluted before putting them on the TSA plates. So that is what I’ll be doing next week.
Above are two pictures out of the eleven TSA plates streaked.

No comments:

Post a Comment