Thursday, November 7, 2013

YES!!! I KNOW MY UNKNOWN…

This week I finally figured out my unknown. Last week I left off doing an oxidase test and a glucose fermentation test. The oxidase test turned out positive and the glucose fermentation test turned out positive for acid and negative for gas. With a positive result of acid on the glucose fermentation test, lead me to do a SIM (Sulfide-Indole-Motility) test. My SIM test was positive for motility, which lead me to do other test this time it was a Gelatin test. In both the SIM and Gelatin test, I had to take my unknown sample and put some on a needle then stab it through the media that was already in a test tube. Then I had to place both the SIM and Gelatin tests in the incubator for 24-hours. When I came back today, (11-7-2013) I had to take my Gelatin test out of the incubator and put it in an ice bath for 20 minutes. Once I took it out of the ice bath, I saw that I had a positive hydrolysis for the Gelatin test. Finally, my unknown was no longer unknown. Serratia marcescens!!!
Gelatin Test

No comments:

Post a Comment