Thursday, September 18, 2014

Breaking out the anatomy textbook


This week I have been researching how the digestive system works and mapping out the probiotic project. After talk to both Matt and Josh I got an understanding of where I want to go with this project and how I can accomplish it. The base of my project will be how different products with probiotics hold up in the digestive system. I will be measuring to see which product will have the most lactobacillus produced.

My first step was doing research on how food get digested in the stomach and moves on to the small intestine. While researching I also found out the pH levels of the stomach and small intestine. By getting this information I am trying to come up with a media that will be similar to the gastric acid in the stomach. There are other items that still need to be mapped out but I am happy to say that the probiotic project is coming together.

When it comes to the products I’ll be using I have narrowed it down to five products. I was going to use a pill supplement but after talking to Josh about it I decided to can that idea. There are just too many supplements out on the market. Instead I am going to stay with buttermilk and yogurts (three different types - homemade, Greek yogurt, plain yogurt). I will also be adding kefir into the mix. Kefir is a fermented milk drink made with kefir grains and has its origins in the north Caucasus Mountains. It is prepared by inoculating cow, goat, or sheep milk with kefir grains.

Image from http://www.aspirus.org

No comments:

Post a Comment