Thursday, September 25, 2014

The digestion process - What happens to your food as it travels through ...




This week in lab I worked on getting the knots out of my project that keep me from getting it off the ground. After brainstorming for what seem like forever I came up with a plan that I’m happy with and most important I got the okay on. I’m going to be testing the effect of stress that probiotics go through inside the digestive system to see the survival rate. The two probiotics that I’ve chosen for this project will be Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermopilus these two probiotics are mostly found in yogurt… Yep that’s right I’ll be using yogurt once again however this time around I’ll be only using three yogurt products instead of twenty products.

So the first thing I’ll be doing is testing each product to make sure they contain the probiotics I’m looking for. For test one I want to use LS differential agar but we don’t have in the lab. I guess I’ll have to talk with Matt to see if we can order it. This media would be able to differentiate between Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermopilus. In the mean time I’ve been talking with Cory to see what else I could use that we already have inside the lab. After I get done with test one I’ll be moving on to the stress part of the project. Taking the probiotic and putting it into an environment that is like the human stomach. It looks like I’ll be use hydrochloric acid because it’s very close to the pH level of the stomach. I’m still thinking of what other material I’ll be using to create a similar environment of the stomach.

Video from McGraw Hill on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment